in , , , , ,

Your Guide to Maid Insurance

Your Guide to Maid Insurance in Singapore

If you are planning to get a helper, it is essential for you to buy maid insurance. This is to ensure that your helper and her family are well protected against any accidents or medical expenses that might occur.

In Singapore, it is mandatory for employers of foreign domestic workers (FDWs) to purchase insurance before their helper arrives in the country. Your insurance package should minimally include the following:

  • Medical insurance of at least $15,000 per year, covering inpatient care and surgery.

  • Personal accident insurance of at least $60,000 per year, covering unexpected situations that might result in death or a permanent disability.

  • Security bond of $5,000 (unless your helper is Malaysian). This can be bought either separately or as part of an insurance package.

All costs must be borne by you and cannot be passed on to your helper. Maid insurance policies are generally available for 14-month or 26-month periods, depending on the period for which you hire your helper. Beyond the basic coverage, some insurance policies might offer additional coverage for medical and dental charges, wage compensation, third-party liability and theft, to name a few.

Different policies will provide you with different add-on benefits and at different costs, so it is important to consider the coverage and your budget while choosing the right policy for you and your helper

If you are just beginning your search, a good place to start would be the Singapore Ministry of Manpower’s guidelines on insurance requirements for FDWs.

Hiring a maid in Singapore is already expensive, so make sure that you and your helper are well-protected against any additional, unexpected expenses that might occur. 

Where are Singapore’s helpers from?

Where are Singapore’s helpers from?

What do I do if my Helper gets Pregnant in Singapore

What do I do if my Helper gets Pregnant?